i had a bad abscess last april, it was so infected i was on medicine until august and then finally my root canal started which was a combination of 3 more visits to complete it. my tooth still is sore on and off and a bad oder comes from it. i don't fee

3 doctor answers
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
39 years experience Dentistry
In : In sorry to hear about such a longstanding problem. Without a physical exam with radiographs, i cannot tell what is happening with that tooth. But i can tell you that four months to heal up an infection is quite a long time. The root canal was completed, and you now need a crown. So far, everything sounds routine. That your tooth is still sore concerns me the most. It shouldn't be so sore seven months after the root canal. The odor could be from food and bacteria getting caught in the unrestored tooth. If you feel uncomfortable with the dentist who has treated you, find another dentist from a trusted recommendation and get a second opinion on if this tooth is even restorable. Hope this info helps.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
Dr. Michael Wollock
28 years experience Dentistry
Saginaw, I : Saginaw, i truly don't know how things were handled, but a bad smell and soreness tells me it is not right now. Not everything turns out the way we want it to. Go see you dentist and voice your concern. They can not help you unless you give them an opportunity too. If you’re not happy with the response then move on. Hope this is helpful, michael i. Wollock, dmd, agd fellow dentistry at suburban square 610-649-0313.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
Dr. Neil McLeod
48 years experience Prosthodontics
When : When you have an abscessed tooth the treatment is to drain the abscess clean and open the tooth up and seal the ends of the tooth with a root canal treatment. The tooth is sterilized during this process and there should not be a bad odor coming from the tooth. You should immediately have experienced resolution of the problem and discomfort should have subsided in the next week or three. Then the tooth should have been reinforced with a post and then a crown placed to restore the tooth. This is the norm. If you asked the doctor not to proceed, and if he did not place a good temporary crown, then your tooth will have been left open to reinfection from bacteria.. Why don't you give your doctor a call and tell him you would like to proceed and can he please check the area properly and restore it completely. Dr neil mcleod dds dentistry that lasts - quality that counts.
Answered on Oct 4, 2016