can you get toxic shock syndrome from the plastic from a tampon being left in your vagina? i have had a fever and chills, then extreme periods of sweating along with a lump behing my ear and one that is getting pretty big on my neck below it. these lumps

Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mary Engravanswered
Emergency Medicine 31 years experience
Toxic : Toxic shock syndrome was felt to be secondary to extremely-absorbable tampons, which became associated with staph and strep infections. Toxic shock syndrome has symptoms of high fever, rash, and often vomiting or diarrhea. If a patient had high fever, vomiting, and rash, then they should consult with their physician. The reasons for swelling behind the ears and in the neck may be a different cause of infection.

Last updated Oct 3, 2016