U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A female asked:

I have a knot on my knee which is now soft and possibly filled with water or blood. is this serious? i fell and hit my knee on a dishwasher two weeks ago. it swelled and had minor pain. now i notice i have a knot the size of a golf ball or smaller and

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 27 years experience
Hello. : Hello. I can’t diagnose your knee condition. However often times this type of fluid can be due to bursitis. This is swelling of a fat pad. It can become warm, tender and red. If there is also a fever, that can suggest an infected bursa which should be evaluated asap. Cysts can also develop on the knee. This does sound a lot like bursitis. It can be managed by icing and elevating your knee, use of nonsterodial anti-inflammatory medication like motrin, and avoiding activities that increase the pain. If it is not worsening, i would see if your doctor can see you next week. Take care.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 3, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.