I have a knot on my knee which is now soft and possibly filled with water or blood. is this serious? i fell and hit my knee on a dishwasher two weeks ago. it swelled and had minor pain. now i notice i have a knot the size of a golf ball or smaller and

Hello. : Hello. I can’t diagnose your knee condition. However often times this type of fluid can be due to bursitis. This is swelling of a fat pad. It can become warm, tender and red. If there is also a fever, that can suggest an infected bursa which should be evaluated asap. Cysts can also develop on the knee. This does sound a lot like bursitis. It can be managed by icing and elevating your knee, use of nonsterodial anti-inflammatory medication like motrin, and avoiding activities that increase the pain. If it is not worsening, i would see if your doctor can see you next week. Take care.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 3, 2016