U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 39-year-old female asked:

Is there anything i can do to make my bladder stronger? (sometimes when i sneeze, i leak urine...never pedictable)#nqlu i am overweight by 40lbs. is weight a contributing factor to this problem? i've also had 3 babies...but have always had this issue.

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Michael Han
Urology 23 years experience
It : It sounds like you most likely have stress urinary incontinence. This is generally secondary to weakening of the pelvic floor. Being overweight and bearing multiple children can both contribute to this issue. As a first line treatment, i generally recommend physical therapy with a physical therapist who specializes in pelvic floor strengthening techniques. Weight loss may also help with your problem. There are some off-label pharmaceuticals that have been approved for use in europe for stress urinary incontinence but none here in the states. Your final option would be surgery which can include various slings with and without prolapse repair if applicable. I would make a visit to a urologist to get the low down on these options.
Last updated Oct 3, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.