What's my risk of heart disease after a hysterectomy? my doctor recommended a hysterectomy and hormone replacement therapy, but i've read it can increase my risk of heart disease. i already have some risk factors. does a hysterectomy make my chances of de

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Heidi Fowler answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Hello. : Hello. If you ovaries are not removed; it won't change your risk for heart disease. However if both your ovaries and uterus are removed (which it looks like is the case for you since your doctor is recommending hormone replacement therapy) that can increase risk. With a total hysterectomy your estogen levels will drop. Estrogen helps to protect against heart disease. You develop a "surgical menopause" and this can lead to increasing sustances in your blood that cause clotting as well as making your blood vessels more susceptible to plaques or clots forming.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Tracie Leonhardt answered

Specializes in Emergency Medicine

Heart disease: The risk of heart disease increases after a hysterectomy due to the decline in estrogen that has protective actions toward heart disease. I would look into bio-identical hormone replacement.

Answered 1/1/2017

4.9k views