Is there an alternative to ridaline for a child? my exwife put my 6 yr old son on it to make her life easier on watching him. when he comes to my house and i give it to him as directed he acts like a zombie an hour later when it takes affect.he also start

Hello. : Hello. Sounds like a lot of tension between parents. Normally, a physician will not prescribe Ritalin (methylphenidate) for the sole purpose of making a child more docile. There has to be actual medical indication. There are a number of differrent medications which can be used to treat a child. I would anticipate that your son likely has attention deficit disorder or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder if he is being treated with ritalin (methylphenidate). I suggest that you share your observations with your wife. Recommend it be done in a neutral and non- accusatory manner. You can share your concerns about possible side effects with her. It will be received better if your wife perceives you as bringing it up due to concern about your son, rather than bringing it up in the context of not parenting appropriately. Good luck.

Last updated Oct 3, 2016