what does it mean when the baby drops? i heard that this is a sign that labor has started, but what does it mean?

Dr. Melissa Rankin
Your : Your fetus’s head tends to hang out in the upper part of the pelvis until the baby gets close to labor, at which point, the fetal head drops into the lower part of the pelvis. The doctor or midwife can feel this on external exam, because the head is no longer wobbling around above the fetal bone but has dropped down below it. It can also be assessed on pelvic exam as “station, ” meaning how far down the baby has dropped. You may also be able to tell if the baby has dropped because your belly may change shape. So what does it mean if the baby drops? Usually it means the baby is getting ready for labor, but the amount of time between when the baby drops and when labor begins varies. If the baby drops prematurely, you may be put on bed rest, but that still doesn’t mean labor is inevitable. However, when the baby drops at full term, in combination with painful contractions that become regular or a broken water bag, the time is coming. Keep in mind that mothers who have given birth many times may go into labor without having the baby drop until the cervix is almost fully dilated. But if the baby drops and it’s your first, it’s a good sign that the time to meet your baby is approaching.