i dislocated my knee cap should i have it operated on? i am a 43 year old male. i work out with weights 6 days a week. i dislocated what i think was my knee cap while bowling.(left knee folded to inside when i planted it to throw the ball. then it poppe

Dr. Monica Wood
27 years experience Hand Surgery
This : This can be a difficult problem. Did you see a primary care physician, urgent care or er doctor, or an orthopaedic surgeon? You really do need to see an orthopaedic surgeon, preferably one who specializes in sports medicine. Patellar (knee cap) dislocations are relatively common and can be quite painful. They occur frequently in adolescent girls. However, 43 is a bit late for a first-time dislocation. There have been studies back-and-forth about the relative benefits of surgery vs. Bracing and rehabilitation. My bias is to avoid surgery if possible. However, it is more likely in your age group that you ruptured part of your patellar tendon or the quadriceps tendon. An incomplete rupture would still allow you to walk, but you would have difficulty straightening the knee and it would be quite painful. Unfortunately, these do require surgical repair. Repairs are easiest to do and get the best results if done within 2 weeks of an injury. You should be evaluated promptly to get the best outcome.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
3