How do i make a twisted ankle heal fast? i twisted my ankle in class, my foot was dead asleep and i tried walking on it an just crushed the poor thing, now it's very swollen. how do i make it heal fast?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Howard Fox answered

Specializes in Podiatry

Well, : Well, the first thing you need to do is find out what kind, and how bad an injury you have. You can't have an effective or successful treatment without an accurate diagnosis. If it's broken, you'll heal better and faster in a cast. If it's just sprained... It depends. Some "sprains" include a torn ligament, which takes much longer to heal than a simple sprain. In the first 24 hours after the injury, apply ice, rest it, keep it elevated, and an ace wrap would help you. If you feel remarkably better the next day, you probably had a minor sprain and you should be fine. If your pain is worse the next day (or clearly, if you're unable to walk on it now), you need an x-ray, either at a podiatrist's or orthopedist's office, or at the er.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

See a podiatrist: I recommend you see a podiatrist for treatment. Your ankle needs to be supported with either a boot or a brace. Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation are also important.

Answered 7/31/2014

3.8k views