I'm having leg and feet swelling that is now causing sharp pains in my foot and pins and needles. i am a 54 yr. old male. 6'2" 299 lbs should i go to the er or wait and call my dr. in the morning

Dr. David Greuner
General Surgery 21 years experience
If : If this process has been rapid in onset, and is progressing to involve neurologic symptoms, i would advocate a sooner rather than delayed evaluation.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Howard Fox
Podiatry 44 years experience
If : If only one foot or leg is swollen, it usually means there is a local problem (like lymphedema, varicose veins, thrombophlebitis, etc.). But in your case, since both feet and legs are swollen, it means you are retaining fluid for some reason. The four most common causes of fluid retention deal with the heart, lungs, liver and kidneys. When the tissues are swollen, it can cause hydrostatic pressure on the smaller nerves which can produce pain. "pins and needles" is a feeling typical of pain associated with nerves. Given your age and weight, i would also wonder about diabetes, since nerve pain, tingling, numbness and such in the feet are major symptoms of diabetes. Other symptoms of diabetes include frequent thirst, frequent urination and blurred vision. If your fluid retention is related to the heart of lungs, an ominous sign that would require an immediate er visit is shortness of breath or chest pain. In the absence of shortness of breath or chest pain, i think a call to your general md for an appointment asap would suffice. Blood tests would be able to disclose diabetes, or problems with the heart, lungs, liver or kidneys. Good luck!
Last updated Oct 3, 2016