if i'm 33 weeks pregnant and my father has been getting radiation therapy for brain cancer, is being around him dangerous for my baby?

Dr. Reza Shirazi
Radiation Oncology 20 years experience
No: Most common form of radiation he is getting is external beam radiation, which is typically x-rays. It is only on when the patient is in the room. He does not carry any radioactivity with him. It is safe to be around him even if you are pregnant so long as it is x-rays he is getting.
Dr. Reza Shirazi
Radiation Oncology 20 years experience
No: The most common form of radiation your father is getting for his brain tumor is external beam radiation and usually x-rays are used. In this case, x-rays are only on when the machine is on in the treatment room. When your father leaves the treatment room, he does not carry any radioactivity with him and it is safe for you and the fetus to be around him.;).
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Radiation Oncology 33 years experience
No: His radiation is done in a closed shielded room. Once he leaves this room he is not radioactive and will not harm you or your baby in any way.
Dr. James Douglas
Radiation Oncology 41 years experience
No: External irradiation does not stay in the body so having contact with your father after he has been treated presents no risk to your baby.
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology 47 years experience
No: The radiation that could harm your developing child is at the facility where he is treated, unless he has had an implant with radoactive sources. Enjoy your father and do not fear his treatment for yourself or your child.