I have three compression fractures in my back and now havin neck and shoulder pain running down my arm what causes this? none

5 doctors weighed in across 2 answers

While : While cervical (neck bone) compression fractures are rare in the absence of trauma, its quite possible you have a degenerative condition causing your symptoms. Disc bulging, herniations, and arthritis are just a few conditions that are commonly a source of nerve root irritation in the neck that can cause neck/shoulder pain that travels down the arm. Most of the time it can be treated successfully with nsaid's, pt, activity modification, etc. Less commonly it requires some more invasive intervention (injections or surgery). A visit to your pcp (or orthopedist if you have one) would be in your best interest. Good luck!

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Stephen Christensen answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

If : If you have compression fractures, arthritis, and degenerative disc disease in your back, it's likely the same processes are occurring in your neck. When the nerve roots in your neck are pinched or irritated by bulging discs or osteophytes (bone spurs), you could have pain, numbness or other sensations in your arms and hands. (it's like having sciatica in your arms.) if left untreated, you could eventually develop weakness in your upper extremities. See your doctor about these symptoms. He/she may want to arrange an MRI of your neck. Good luck!

Answered 10/4/2016

5.5k views