Is dermabrasion efficient for old tattoo removal? my right shoulder tattoo is about 5 inches in diameter and was made 10 years ago when i was about 20. it has significantly faded. i am a healthy male and i don't have any medical conditions that i am aware

Dr. James Seward
Dermatology 22 years experience
Typically : Typically a tattoo is removed via laser. The laser targets the particular pigment of the tattoo, breaks it up and then the body can more easily "dissolve" the pigment. I hope that helps.
Dr. Glenn Messina
Aesthetic Medicine 35 years experience
It will scar: The safest method is laser tattoo using a q switched laser. The trauma of a dermabrasion had a much higher potential to create a scar. A good doctor using the proper laser an proper settings should have no trouble with your tattoo provided it is not multicolored.
Dr. Thomas Lamperti
Facial Plastic Surgery 21 years experience
Dermabrasion : Dermabrasion is not a standard tattoo removal treatment these days. It generally leaves a scar worse than the tattoo you're removing. There are several types of lasers available to remove tattoos of various color. I would find a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who has the appropriate laser available to address your tattoo.
Dr. Barry Press
Plastic Surgery 44 years experience
It : It can be but may leave a scar that is as ugly as the tattoo. The current preferred method of tattoo removal is by laser treatment. There should be plastic surgeons or dermatologists in your area that do this.Check the link below to start a search. Good luck!

Last updated Oct 4, 2016