is naloxone safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women?

Dr. Nicholas Fogelson
Specializes in Gynecology
????: Naloxone is a drug used for acute narcotic intoxication, typically given when a person isn't breathing because of overdose. As such, if it were really needed it wouldn't be safe _not_ to use it.
Dr. Kevin Daus
Dr. Kevin Daus commented
I think at my hospital they give it for itching if you have been given narcotic in the epidural or spinal space. I have not been aware of it causing problems. We used to give it to babies when the mother got narcotics for pain control in labor and the baby was sleepy from the mother's narcotic. Now they save it for the extreme cases like Dr Fogelson mentions.
Feb 25, 2012
Dr. David Simons
Anesthesiology 39 years experience
It depends: Naloxone is an opioid antagonist used to reverse the effects of opioid side effects which include slowing of the breathing, nausea, itching among others. This medication is rarely used during pregnancy or for breast feeding women. It may precipitate an acute withdrawal reaction in opioid dependent patients.
Dr. David Kinsman
Anesthesiology 20 years experience
Of course: For most indicated uses of naloxone, it isn't safe not have it.
Naloxone: If a woman needs to be treated for an opioid overdose with respiratory depression - that could be life threatening - so the naloxone should be administered. It is not known is it is distributed in breast milk. This addresses Narcan use and fetus- https://reference.medscape.com/drug/narcan-nasal-spray-naloxone-intranasal-1000057