procedure for replacing crowns? when i got my crowns, my dentist told me theyd probably need to be replaced in 15 years or so. its been 15 years, so now im wondering how the dentist goes about doing this. im using a different dentist than back then. s

Dr. Brandon Goates
Dentistry 22 years experience
Sometimes : Sometimes a crown will not need to be replaced just because it is 15 years old - that is just an average. Some people keep their teeth and crowns clean and others don't, so some people would need their crown replaced in 5 years and others in 20 years. But if your crown did need to be replaced, we would get that tooth numb, section the crown in two pieces to break the seal and wiggle the crown off. It usually come off quite easily once the seal is broken and it should be a painless procedure. Then once the old crown is off, we inspect the tooth for cavities or cracks and make sure it will do well with a new crown. We then reshape the tooth and get an impression for the new crown, just like when you received your old crown.
Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Endodontics 44 years experience
Yearly check: Crowns don't last forever. That being said. I have seen many last for over 30 yrs. It depends on many factors. The original proper margins, your home care, your occlusion, and the material of the crown.
Dr. Travis Campbell
Cosmetic Dentistry 12 years experience
Checkups: The average lifespan of a crown is 10-15 years, mostly due to new cavities. Routine checkups and x-rays can usually help find any problems early. Whenever your crown is replaced, the dentist will remove it, clean up the tooth, and make you a new crown, similar to how the first one was made.
Dr. Dave Burns
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Only replace if defective
May 20, 2013

Last updated Oct 3, 2016