At night my right hand wakes me with numbness and tingling and a lot of pain lasts for about an hour help me please. i am 47 on metformin for type 2 diabetes, hctz for my high blood pressure, and welbuterin to try to help with quitting cigarettes, i also

Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Hand Surgery 36 years experience
Nocturnal : Nocturnal ( nighttime) numbness and tingling and pain in the hand can be associated with carpal tunnel syndrome. While diabetes can give peripheral neuropathy typically the tingling associated with diabetic neuropathy will affect both hands equally as well as the feet. However with diabetes or any other systemic problem that can affect nerves and circulation, the presence of the underlying disorder can worsen the symptoms of carpal tunnel when it gets worse. This also means that diabetes sometimes prevents the pain form occurring early on and when it does occur may feel worse suddenly. Nonetheless the reason carpal tunnel seems to be worse at night when sleeping is several fold. 1, the pressure on the nerve is increased by the increased tissue pressure form lying down, the fluid that sits outside the cells redistributes itself to the face and upper extremity when someone lies down ( its why feet are swollen at the end of the day and the face feels puffy and fingers stiff in the am). This extra fluid increases the pressure on the nerve. A second thing that often occurs when one sleeps unsplnted is that the wrists flexed or extended, also putting more pressure on the nerve. The pressure builds, the fingers go numb, pain follows and finally the pain build enough to awaken the sufferer. To start, a simple wrist splint may suffice to help with the night time symptoms. Not too tight as that can cause pressure on the nerve too defeating the purpose. Next antiinflammatories, otc non steroidal antiinflammatories but if someone is a diabetic taking other medications then they should always check with their pcp/family doctor/internist or endocrinologist before taking nsaid' s as the y can have a deleterious effect upon renal ( kidney) function. A pcp may prescribe antiinflammatories as well. Injections of corticosteroids are often used acutely by hand surgeons for non operative care. A nerve conduction study and EMG can help define/delineate the role of carpal tunnel v, neuropathy start with a pcp and consider seeing a hand surgeon once the work up is initiated, .
Dr. David Ring
Hand Surgery 33 years experience
Classic : Classic carpal tunnel syndrome. See if a wrist splint helps you sleep at night. If you still get numb with the splint on or if you are a little numb all the time, it's time to see a hand surgeon. Carpal tunnel syndrome can be cured with surgery if we get to it prior to advanced nerve damage.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry 23 years experience
Possible neuropathy: Depending on the affected nerves, symptoms of diabetic neuropathy can range from a numbness and tingling sensation, possibly a burning sensation, to an uncomfortable painful sensation of the extremities. Neuropathy may affect your digestive system, urinary tract, blood vessels and the heart. For some people, the symptoms are mild; for others, it can be painful and disabling.

Last updated Jul 1, 2019