U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 32-year-old male asked:

i've been diagnosed with glaucoma. thirty years ago i had a problem with chronic eye infections. i was also treated for high intra-ocular eye pressure readings. is it even a remote possibility that the eye infections affected the drainage systems of the

5 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jeffrey Whitman
Ophthalmology 45 years experience
Doubtful---glaucoma : Doubtful---glaucoma can effect anyone particularyly as they age. Thankfully with good treatment you should not lose any vision to the disease.
Dr. William Goldstein
Ophthalmology 31 years experience
No, : No, this is very unlikely, unless the infections were actually a form of inflammation inside your eye, known as uveitis or iritis. The drainage system that is involved in pressure control of the eye are inside the eye, and eye infections generally affect the inside of the eye.
Dr. Emil Chynn
LASIK Surgery 29 years experience
These : These things are not related. If you have recurrent eye infections, there is a 90% chance it's because you're not using your contacts properly, in which case you should either not use contacts, use them properly, or just get lasek. But i'm assuming, based on your age, you aren't using contacts anymore, anyway if you have glaucoma, there is a new laser that can treat it, so you don't have to stick drops in your eyes for the rest of your life. In terms of full disclosure, i trained at harvard with mark latina, md, who is the inventor of slt, and am very good friends with him. That said, if i were a glaucoma patient, i'd rather have slt every few years than take drops forever. I even suggested this to my own father, who has oag, so is now looking into this. Because slt is somewhat new (he patented it about a decade ago), you should make sure you go to an eye surgeon who has done at least 100 procedures, so he knows what he is doing. Otherwise he may hit the wrong part of your tm and say it's not working, when that's not the slt's fault, it's his fault for targeting the wrong cells good luck, and hope this helps. Slt is paid for by all medical insurance, btw, so you don't need to worry about cost when making this decision (you will probably actually save $1, 000 over the years, if it goes well, on copays for your glaucoma medications).
Dr. John Kim
Dr. John Kimanswered
Ophthalmology 22 years experience
Eye : Eye infection does not cause glaucoma. However, if you are saying that you were treated for high intra-ocular pressure thirty years ago, then you may have had the start of glaucoma back than.
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 52 years experience
Unlikely: Most eye infections are outside and superficial. Only were the infection to get inside would the fluid flow possibly b e disturbed but infections inside the eye are massively disruptive and pressure problems would not be the major concern when this happens.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with

Similar questions

A 44-year-old member asked:

I fell and hurt my hand. I had an x-ray, which showed no fracture. But I still have a terrible pain. What can I do?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jonathan Sollender
Hand Surgery 32 years experience
Depends: X-rays show bones and their relationship to each other. An x-ray will not show crushed tissue, though it will show swelling. Swelling makes nerves send pain signals to the brain. Pain medication (anti-inflammatories) will help, as will elevation, immobilization and resting the hand. If not sure what was injured, go see your local hand surgeon for expert evaluation, make sure ligaments are ok.
A 38-year-old member asked:

I had my gallbladder removed. Is it normal to feel a lot of stomach pain?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Sidney Vinson
Gastroenterology 27 years experience
No: You may have some pain in the first week or so but it shouldn't be severe. You should see your doctor or surgeon.
A member asked:

I have the following symptoms head hurts fever of 99 throat n chest on fire ears hurt too:?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Specializes in Pediatrics
Infection: You have an illness...Probably viral (because most illnesses are). Strep throat can also produce those symptoms. It is always a good choice to be seen when you feel so awful...If ears hurt too it could be an ear infection and having treatment choices is very helpful. Make an appointment to be seen.
Bonham, TX
A 24-year-old female asked:

I have visible blood in my urine and went to hospital and they said I had a UTI infection but my left kidney is in bad pain, is this from a uti?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
General Practice 15 years experience
May or may not: Gross blood in the urine with flank pain until proven otherwise can be a sign of kidney stones. Uti typically starts from the bladder and if left untreated can potentially travel to to the kidneys with serious consequences. Follow where the pain the starts. Stone starts from the back vs UTI from the bladder.
A 34-year-old male asked:

1st stage breast cancer was removed in march, had radiation therapy(30day), now taking tamoxifen, but coughing phlegm now, can it be a transfer to lungs?

3 doctor answers10 doctors weighed in
Dr. Addagada Rao
General Surgery 56 years experience
Unlikely: Most likely, simple respiratory track infection- bronchitis, see your doctor for examination, may give antibiotics along with cough medicine, and possible chest x-ray., metastasis is unlikely diagnosis in stage i

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
Last updated Oct 4, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.