Why do my fingers occasionally turn black and blue? every so often a place in my fingers will feel a tightness, and soon after looks black and blue. sometimes it can be a small area, other times my entire finger looks like i smashed it in the door. ther

Dr. Robert Andrews
Interventional Radiology 36 years experience
This : This sounds like a problem with your arterial circulation. If these events are associated with cold temperatures, you may have raynaud's syndrome. In raynaud's, the small arteries in the hands and feet are hypersensitive to cold and go into spasm. The treatment is to keep the extremities warm. On the other hand, it's possible that you may be experiencing some blood clots in the small vessels. If this involves just one hand, it may be that you have an abnormality in the artery upstream that is "throwing" clots. If that's the case, the problem area should be fixed with an angioplasty or bypass, and you may need to take blood thinners. The argument against what i've described is that the discolored areas caused by blocked arteries are usually painful.
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Hand Surgery 35 years experience
I : I agree that circulation may be an issue problems may include buergers disease ask called thrombarteritis obliterans, where pain is commonly associated with vascular blockage . Other things need to be ruled out including thromboembolic phenomena where lithe tiny blood clots accumulate in the fingers from a problem in the heart or a large major blood vessel. As well as problems with effectively not making enough or making too much blood clotting factors caffeine use, outside temperature, medications, nerve compression, neurological, autoimmune or inflammatory disorders other health issues and especially smoking affects the circulation to the fingers raynauds is classically a vasospastic pattern with an absence of blood in the finger making it look lighter in color at the tip. If one is getting these things every few days a medical evaluation by an internist of family doctor is needed.

Last updated Nov 30, 2020