My boyfriend has mrsa and i am wondering what to wash his linens with to kill the bacteria? also if they're letting him out of the hospital do you think it is okay for me and my 3 year old to spend the night at his house or are we still at risk?

Dr. Joy Jackson
The : The best disinfectant to combat MRSA is household bleach. The bleach must be mixed with water prior to cleaning (90% water, 10% bleach). There is a difference between your boyfriend having a wound that is MRSA positive versus him being a carrier of MRSA (on skin and in nose). Regardless here are some things to protect yourself and your child: wash hands regularly with soap and water (not antibacterial soap) don't share personal items like towels don't handle any bandages of the affected person if applicable if he is just a carrier then your risk is fairly low if you follow the above, especially hand washing. Best of luck.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Lauren Romeo
Wound Care 21 years experience
Disinfectant: Household disinfectant can be used in hot water machine washing. Warm dryer. Clean surfaces with bleach or disinfectant. Hand washing is key for people to decrease the bacteria on the skin. You may need to shampoo pets as well.
Last updated Oct 3, 2016