A male asked:

what can i do for sciatica of the leg? pain from my hip to my toes and two of my little toes on my left foot are numb.

4 doctor answers
Dr. James McClurg
34 years experience Orthopedic Surgery
You : You have a classic picture of an s1 radiculopathy. More likely than not you have a disc problem at l5-s1. Another less common problem is compression of the sciatic nerve at the level of your gluteal area. This should be examined by a competent orthopedic surgeon and additional tests ordered.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
7
Dr. Justin Esterberg
23 years experience Orthopedic Spine Surgery
Sciatica: Low back, buttock and "shooting" leg pain are all symptoms of a pinched nerve. It sounds like you may have that problem. If the pain is severe and limiting your activity still, the best non-narcotic medications that I have found to work for my patients are antiinflammatories such as Ibuprofen or Naproxen which are over-the-counter medications. Other non-narcotic medications include tramadol (ultram) which requires a prescription and nerve-pain medications such as gabapentin. These are all to be taken for temporary pain relief. This type of pain typically resolves with time. Ask your primary physician about these if the pain is still limiting you. If it is still going on for more than a month an MRI may be helpful to help sort out what is going on and there could be other potential treatments outside of surgery that could benefit you.
Answered on Aug 25, 2018
13
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
44 years experience Dentistry
See an orthopedic Dr: You need to see an orthopedic dr. Who can guide you on what to do.
Answered on Feb 4, 2014
Dr. Qamar Khan
16 years experience Pain Management
Sciatica: Pain in the distribution as you suggested describes the pattern of the nerve that travels in the leg called the sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve is not the cause of the pain source, it is the result of an irritated nerve typically in the lumbar spine (low back) which are caused by herniated disks, spinal stenosis or degenerative disc disease requiring further evaluation by a spine specialist.
Answered on Jul 10, 2014