U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 52-year-old member asked:

Can you have your daughter committed to an institution if she is violent in her temper tantrums?

3 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Bryan Levey
Pediatrics 27 years experience
Depends: Laws differ in different places, but where I am a person can not be forcibly hospitalized unless they present an imminent danger to themselves or others. People are not hospitalized, nor should they be, for throwing themselves on the floor, kicking and screaming, which is usually what is meant by "temper tantrum." people who have self control issues might benefit from counselling.
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Pediatrics 22 years experience
Maybe: Not usually unless they are at risk of hurting themselves or others. Therefore physical violence that escalates to that level may indeed necessitate admission to a psychiatric evaluation and inpatient admission.
Dr. William Singer
Pediatric Neurology 51 years experience
Diagnose first: The first thing to do is have her evaluated by a behavioral psychologist or psychiatrist. there may be treatment alternatives that can successfully manage her behavior. A last resort would be a psychiatric hospitalization to further the evaluation.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated May 3, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.