U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Snohomish, WA
A 49-year-old female asked:

Teenager and depression. she was taken from mother who she been with all her life (15 years.) she was given to father who was abusive with the oldest daughter and who has been out of the picture for 13 years. she is doing poorly in school, always crying,

4 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Marina Doulova
Psychiatry 25 years experience
You : You describe a very serious issue such as an emotional abuse. It can lead to severe depression and emotional trauma. This child and the family need help right away.
Dr. Glen Elliott
Child Psychiatry 44 years experience
What's the question?: Sounds like a horrible situation, but not sure what the question for this site is. If you are the mother in question, you need legal not medial advice. If you believe she is being abused, contact child protective services. If the situation cannot be changed, then the girl needs a psychiatric evaluation and intervention asap.
Dr. William Singer
Pediatric Neurology 52 years experience
Needs counseling.: She should see a counselor to help deal with the many factors that led to her being taken fromher mother, placement with an previously absent father and the emotional impact of these.
Dr. Judith Tellerman
Clinical Psychology 43 years experience
TEEN DEPRESSION: 1st your daughter should have a physical exam to rule out any physical illness. it would be best to consult with a Psychiatrist specializing in Adolescents for meds and a Clinical Psychologist for help with psychotherapy. Research indicates with psychotherapy one can change & find better coping mechanisms. If her Father won't take her to the Dr. she should see the Guidance Counselor at school.
Last updated Oct 22, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.