Could drinking alcohol on a few occasions while i was pregnant be the cause of my child having seizures? when i didn't know i was pregnant, i drank beer on a few occassions. i found out i was pregnant when i was about 7-8wks along. my daughter is now 5 1/

Dr. Joy Jackson
This : This is a very difficult situation. Regardless of wheter or not your drinking while pregnant is the cause of your baby's seizures, there is nothing that will change the fact that she has them, and you will never know if that was the cause. There is some evidence that moderate to severe drinking in pregnancy can result in a seizure disorder in babies, however you can't beat yourself up over what may or may not be. As long as you are taking care of your baby and making sure she gets the best medical care, you are being a good mother. As far as the diagnosis of "intrautering drug exposure" i recommend you ask the lawyers here on avvo.Com about how you can possibly dispute that. Lastly please consult with a neurologist in order to figure out other potential reasons why she developed seizures. Often times a reason is never found. Please prepare yourself for that. Again you can't change the past or the present so be strong and continue to care for your daughter. Good luck.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Lisa Vollmer
Addiction Medicine 26 years experience
Alcohol in pregnancy: I think it is very unlikely the limited alcohol intake you describe caused your daughter's seizures. Effects of alcohol on a baby generally take the form of behavioral/developmental problems with possible physical signs as well. I believe you/your doctors would have noted a problem earlier.
Last updated Oct 3, 2016