Blood in mucus. more detail below. i have been sick for about a week and have blood in my mucus when i blow my nose. however, when i cough the mucus up there isn't any blood. the blood just recently showed up. small streaks. i have been taking amax antibi

Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mary Engravanswered
Emergency Medicine 32 years experience
It : It may be that you have some irritation in your nose. Try using a humidifier, and when you blow your nose blow it very gently. Also, you could try saline nasal spray to moisturize your nose. If the bleeding becomes worse, if you develop fever or have any blood from your cough, or have shortness of breath, then you must be seen as an emergency.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Lonnie Smith
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 40 years experience
Blood in mucous: Blood in mucous when you blow nose, may be inflammation of the tissues from the infection and or blowing your nose frequently. It should stop after you decrease the frequency of blowing your nose and infection is over.
Last updated Oct 3, 2016