A male asked:

can my teenager daughter improve her acne with retin-a lotion or pills? my teenage daughter has moderate acne on her face and back. she is a swimmer and i wonder if the chlorine is making it worse. would retin-a help my daughters acne. are lotions more m

Dr. Marianna Blyumin-Karasik
Dermatology 21 years experience
Dear : Dear mom, it is unusual for chlorine to cause acne. Acne can be be do to many factors including genes, hormones, stress, bacteria and other. Retin-a type lotions help acne by unclogging the pores and drying out some of the oil production. Pills that help acne can vary. They either help with bacteria and inflammation, such as antibiotics; or they help to regulate hormones, such as birth control pills, or they help to diminish activity of the oil glands, such as accutane. All of these medications are prescriptions, so your daughter may need to visit a local dermatologists to discuss which is ideal for her skin type and acne. Combination approach is usually the best. Good luck.
Dr. Michael Macri
Dr. Michael Macri commented
Plastic Surgery 33 years experience
agree w above and chlorine won't make acne worse
Sep 9, 2013
Dr. Richard Galitz
Facial Plastic Surgery 41 years experience
Retin-a and acne: Retin-a will probably help but can also cause irritation. I would suggest getting an evaluation of the problem from a good dermatologist hands on.