is glyburide safe for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding?

Dr. Megan Bird
Yes: We commonly use Glyburide for diabetes in pregnancy. It is usually for women who's sugars are just a little high. It does cross the placenta to get to the baby and if your sugars are hard to control, you should be using Insulin for control.
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Yes: Glyburide is sometimes used by some physicians during pregnancy for diabetes but this is not the most standard treatment. Most diabetics requiring medication will be changed to Insulin to control blood sugar during pregnancy.
Dr. Michael Carson
Yes: While not officially endorsed, a large study showed that Glyburide did not cross the placenta. There are a couple of smaller studies showing that it is not detectable in breast milk (link: http://bit.Ly/qfnvns). So, because of the convenience, it is used for some with gestational diabetes after the 11th week, but if you have diabetes before pregnancy, Insulin is the best choice.