is epzicom safe for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding?

2 doctor answers1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Megan Bird
Yes: This is a combination of two medications for HIV infection. There are risks to this medication, including a risk of miscarriage. However, the benefits to mother of treating HIV and preventing progression and to baby with preventing spread of HIV are overwhelming. You should take your antiretrovirals if needed throughout pregnancy.
Dr. Megan Bird
Yes: Also be sure to join the antiretroviral pregnancy registry if you are taking this medication. This helps us learn more about medications that are needed to treat HIV infection.