U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A member asked:

Should i go to e.r. i've been having a dull pain on my left side about 2 and a half inches from my belly button, i constantly feel my side hurting when i walk and if i breathe in deep or out i feel it squeezing, i have never had this type of pain before

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Joy Jackson
Family Medicine 21 years experience
Abdominal : Abdominal pain can be serious, so it is always a good idea to see or call your doctor for instructions on wheter or not you need to be seen in the office or emergency room. All doctors have a 24 hour emergency line. However i always tell patients if they are in excrutiationg pain they should present to an urgent care or emergency room. Tas far as your question, appendicitis typically causes right lower quadrant abdominal pain, however this is not always true, and may be caus e a more generalized abdominal pain. By the date of this post i hope your symptoms have resolved by now, or you were able to seek care. If not please do so immediately. Good luck.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 38 years experience
Physician visit: The level of pain, timing of progression of intensity can also determine whether to see the ED or PCP. I would suggest seeing a physician as soon as possible, and urgent care centers are also available at night and on weekends.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Feb 27, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.