A male asked:

How many days before my stomach biopsy should i stop taking plavix (clopidogrel) and aspirin? after an exam my doctor told me i would probably need an endoscopy and a biopsy of the stomach. i am taking blood thinners for a heart condition. are there other

Dr. Laura McMullen
You : You should call the doctor who is doing the endoscopy and biopsy and ask them what their recommendations are based on your list of medications. In many cases it is recommended that you stop medications that can cause prolonged bleeding such as Aspirin and Plavix (clopidogrel) before the procedure, but depending on why they were prescribed, how much you are on, and exactly what procedure is expected to be done can help the doctor determine how long you have to be off of those medications. When you call, make sure you give your doctor a complete list of what you are taking including vitamins and other supplements.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Aug 2, 2017