Is this really a period? my period was two weeks late this month than i started bleeding heavy two days ago. i usually ovulate around this time so i took a ovulation test and got a positive but i am having medium bleeding today. my cycle is usually 29 to

Dr. Joy Jackson
Let : Let me start by saying that ovulation prediction tests are not always accuruate, and actually need to be done at a specific time for a set amount of days in order to more accurately detect ovulation (detailed instructions can be found in the packaging). Regardless, the fact that your are bleeding, although two weeks late can be considered your period. The question is wether or not you ovulated two weeks ago. Typically menstrual bleeding starts two weeks after ovulation if conception does not occur. Even if you did not ovulate, you could be having an anovulatory cycle which is the shedding of your uterus due hormonal imbalance (hence bleeding). If you took a pregnancy test while bleeding, and it was neg then you are likely not having a miscarriage or pregnant. To be sure you can repeat the test in a few weeks or visit your doctor sooner for a serum(blood) pregnancy test. Good luck.
Dr. John Berryman
Late period ??: If your periods are usually between 28-34 days apart, this kind of bleeding may indicate a pregnancy which is not in the uterus (ectopic). Increased levels of LH in pregnancy will be positive with an "ovulation kit test". Obtain a serum HCG to be certain about pregnancy, and if positive, see your gyn physician immediately for an exam .

Last updated Jan 19, 2019