U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 21-year-old female asked:

My 2 year old got an egg out of the fridge and cracked it open. and my 10 month old daughter was eating it..is she going to be ok?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Laura McMullen
Pediatrics 23 years experience
In : In short - yes, she'll probably be fine. The big concern with raw eggs is salmonella food poisoning. This is caused by the bacteria, salmonella, occasionally found in raw meat, poultry or egg products. Symptoms are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pains, fever, bloody stool, headache and muscle pains. They usually start anywhere from a few hours to 2 days after eating the contaminated food. It usually runs its course in 4-7 days and other than keeping your child well hydrated, there's not much you can do. Medications such as antibiotics and antidiarrheals are generally not recommended since they can actually make the infection last longer. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 27 years experience
Probably, ok: If egg was contaminated with Salmonella than she could develop GI effects.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Mar 8, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.