A 38-year-old female asked:

How to treat uti for a diabetic my mother has a bladder infection. she is 60 years old and a type 2 diabetic. she is frequently in the restroom. we went to cvs pharmacy and they recommended the azo standard pills to take for 2 days and got her diet crambe

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Internal Medicine 39 years experience
It : It sounds like the medicine she is taking is working. As she continues to heal, the buring sensation and frequent urinations (which are symptoms of the infection) will also subside. In the meantime, otc pain medications may help. However, it is prudent to take her to an urgent care facility to be assessed. Perhaps she needs a stronger antibiotic to fight the infection. Blood in the urine should always be assessed by a doctor.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Todd Skiles
33 years experience
See a doctor: Have your mother see her doctor to identify the organism causing the UTI so that the infection can be treated with an appropriate antibiotic.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 3, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.