Will bottles hurt my child's teeth?

8 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Laura Webb answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

Start weaning at 1: Start weaning the bottle at 1 year or a little before. Once your child is drinking cow's milk always put the milk in a cup, not bottle. Then, just use bottles for water- typically this helps the weaning process go faster. Also, to protect your child's teeth never put them to bed with a bottle. The sugars from the milk can cause cavities.

Answered 1/14/2015

6.4k views

Dr. Felicia Mata answered

Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry

Yes: If the bottle is left even when the child is already sleeping. This is where tooth bottle caries was derived from.

Answered 4/5/2014

5.4k views

Dr. Arnold Malerman answered

Specializes in Orthodontics

What's in bottle?: If bottle contains acidic food, like juice or milk, and acidic food lays on the teeth, damage can be done. Best to never put child to bed with a bottle. If you must, nothing in bottle but water. And you should be cleaning your child's teeth routinely. At age 1, see a pediatric dentist for growth & development evaluation, oral hygiene instruction, and Fluoride management.

Answered 6/25/2014

5.2k views