U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A female asked:

What to do for infant 5 weeks who is constipated. breast fed with rice cereal in pumped milk for reflux, also on zantac (ranitidine) two times daily. has not had bowel movement in two days and is very fussy

2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Maureen Mays
Specializes in Clinical Lipidology
Stop the rice: Stop adding rice cereal to the pumped milk (good job on breast feeding, by the way!). Keep breast feeding and keep the zantac (ranitidine). Rice cereal is very constipating! for reflux elevate the head of the crib. In addition to constipation, rice cereal before age 6 months is related to obesity in later life. You may also try a glycerine suppository (found in the baby section). After 7 days call md.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Oscar Novick
Pediatrics 60 years experience
Breast fed baby: Your babys " constipation" may not be related to the rice cereal at all. Breast fed babies can go a whole week without having a stool and are not considered constipated.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Nela Cordero
Pediatrics 56 years experience
Try giving water with karo syrup in between feedings and later diluted juices.
Aug 5, 2013

Related questions

A 29-year-old female asked:
Will putting rice in formula help a four week old with silent reflux? Already on Zantac (ranitidine)
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 29-year-old female asked:
May I take miralaxx for my constipation and Zantac (ranitidine) for my acid reflux?
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 25-year-old female asked:
Can I take Zantac (ranitidine) while breast feeding ?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Last updated Dec 3, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.