A male asked:

how long does it take to recover after a tummy tuck? i'm going on vacation this summer, but want to have my tummy tuck before i wear a bikini. will i have time to have the procedure before my vacation? will there be visible swelling or bruising for more t

Dr. Louis Potyondy
Plastic Surgery 24 years experience
Every : Every patient is different and the best way to judge recovery is how you have done with surgeries in the past. I have seen people recover in 1 week and others take up to 4 weeks. Most people are doing well by 2 weeks, although it takes up to 6 mos. For all the swelling to go down and the scar continues to improve for 1 year.
Dr. Robert Brueck
Plastic Surgery 48 years experience
If : If you leave yourself 4-6 weeks you should do fine.Even 3 weeks would be fine.The scar will be hidden by your bikini.
Dr. Azita Madjidi
Plastic Surgery 30 years experience
Six weeks: Plan good six weeks prior to your trip. The skin heals in a few days and at three weeks it is mostly completely healed if all goes well. The deep healing of your muscle tightening will go one for longer and you should not stress them.
Dr. Daniel Careaga
Plastic Surgery 18 years experience
Tummy recovery: Expect 2 - 3 months before enough swelling has gone down before your feel comfortable at the beach. Make sure you discuss with your surgeon the placement of the scar. I encourage my patients to bring me what swimwear they want to wear after their surgery so i can mark it on their body to keep the scar hidden under that level.
Dr. Oren Lerman
Plastic Surgery 19 years experience
4-6 weeks: Although you'll be feeling well after a couple of weeks you won't be ready to wear a bikini and go swimming for at least 6 weeks possibly longer. There will be residual swelling and the scars will take a few months to soften and lighten.
Dr. Tom Pousti
Specializes in Plastic Surgery
Varies...: Every patient has a different experience after tummy tuck surgery. Results of the procedure may not be seen for 6 months to one year after it is performed. Best to give yourself at least 2 to 3 months before planning on wearing a two-piece swimming suit. Your plastic surgeon will be your best guide when it comes to returning to specific activities but do not underestimate the recovery time...

Last updated Oct 4, 2016