U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 48-year-old male asked:

Severe depression.what can i do?i just want to feel good again.(inside that is). i suffer chronic back pain from inneffective surgeries and have t-cell lymphoma.i have tried antidepressants(zoloft, paxil, lexapro and pristiq).none of these have helped.can

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Arpan Waghray
Psychiatry 17 years experience
A : A combination of cognitive behavioral therapy and anti depressants is an effective treatment strategy. There are other anti depressants with a different mechanism of action that could be tried- eg: tricyclic anti depressants (nortriptyline), mirtazapine, MAO inhibitors.The treatment could also be augmented with medications in the class of Abilify (aripiprazole) , seroquel etc. If nothing else works , electroconvulsive therapy is a safe and effective treatment option.Please talk to your psychiatrist and hope you get well soon.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Walter Root
Psychiatry 17 years experience
Find : Find a psychiatrist who will take a full history. I am not sure, with failing 4 good antidepressants, that you only suffer from depression. You may need something more and then again depression may be a side effect of you cancer treatment. There are no easy answers. Get to a porfessional.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 3, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.