do i need another back surgery? i have a herniated disk at l5-s1, i've been suffering for over 3 years now. i had a surgery in november of 2009, all that was done was scraping the calcium off of the nerve to relieve sciatica. it all started again 6 mont

Dr. Richard Rooney
Specializes in Orthopedic Spine Surgery
This : This could be from a new cause of compression on the nerve, scar tissue constricting or tethering the nerve or collapse of the disc leading to bony compression on the nerves. Imaging such as an MRI would help to delineate the cause of the pain.
Dr. Mark Weston
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 31 years experience
Need?: It all depends on why the nerve is re pinched the clean off plan have brief relief a new plan like restore spacing maybe in order , redo surgeries success rates are lower keep in mind this all elective optional surgery so i dont use the word need.
Dr. Gregg Friedman
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Gregg L. Friedman MD Psychiatrist agrees
Jan 21, 2013
Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management 17 years experience
Pinched Nerve: Sounds like you have a pinched nerve in your back. I would suggest seeing a pain/spine specialist to evaluate you further to evaluate what level and what can be done to treat you. There are interventional treatments besides medications and surgeries that might reduce or eliminate the pain altogether.