Why is my wrist clicking? the wrist of my right hand has recently started clicking when i rotate it. there is some discomfort and it feels like bones are slipping past each other. what are possible causes for something like this and what type of doctor sh

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
The : The wrist contains eight individual "carpal" bones that have a very complex relationship to one another. Each moves in a very complex coordinated manner as the wrist bends forwards and backwards. This coordination is facilitated by ligaments that connect these bones. If you had a fall or some sort of trauma in the past, you may have injured or torn one of these ligaments, and thus are left with what amounts to abnormal motion of the wrist bones relative to each out. A scapholunate dissociation would be an example of this. You may also have fractured a bone in your wrist that failed to heal correctly. This may seem improbable because you may not remember falling, but I have seen several of these cases come to clinic. The first step is to see a physician who can obtain and interpret radiographs of you hands and wrists, and examine you as well, to guide the workup of your concerns.
Dr. Dennis Giannini
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 36 years experience
Arthritis or : Arthritis or torn cartilage. You can see an orthopedic hand specialist, rheumatologist or physical medicine and rehabilitation specialist.

Last updated Jun 7, 2020