how will i feel after anesthesia? i'm going to have general anesthesia for my dental work to be done, will i feel like my normal self afterwards?

Dr. Cheyenne Babcock
Anesthesiology 23 years experience
The : The short answer is no. Depending on the level of sedation/anesthesia that is administered during your procedure, your recovery time will vary. Even if you feel like the medicines have worn off, you may still be having some effects and would likely not perform well on tasks of concentration, technical performance or dexterity. For your safety and that of others, you should adhere to the following: 1. Do not come alone for your procedure. You must have a driver to take you home. 2. Do not attempt to carry out important tasks- make major decisions, balance your checkbook, buy a home, or go to an important meeting. It would be like doing these things drunk. 3. Carefully and slowly advance your diet. Start with clear liquids and as you are able to tolerate them progress to light solids then beyond as you feel up to it. You may feel famished but if you advance your diet too quickly you could regret it.
Dr. Ernesto Pretto jr.
Anesthesiology 44 years experience
Yes: However, the common side effects of general anesthesia include nausea and vomiting, headache, soreness of the throat, and muscle aches. In the majority of cases patients will feel like their usual selves afterwards.
Dr. Daniel Quon
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 42 years experience
Depends: General anesthesia can be provided in a number of different ways with different techniques and meds. The type of general anesthesia and meds used, your physical and mental status, dental procedure performed, and any meds taken afterwards all influence how you will feel afterwards. Everyone responds and recovers differently.
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology 30 years experience
Groggy: Most anesthetics leave you a little groggy as you initially wake up. This effect only lasts a short time, but your anesthesiologist will ask that you not drive or make life altering decisions in the period after your surgery. Your anesthesiologist will be able to discuss this in detail with you.
Dr. Mitchell Zeitler
Anesthesiology 39 years experience
hopefully you will one doc doing the dental work and one doc doing the anesthesia. too many bad outcomes when the oral surgeon tries to do both, especially with general anesthesia.
Apr 4, 2013
Dr. Mitchell Zeitler
Anesthesiology 39 years experience
hopefully one doc will be doing the dental work and the doc (anesthesiologist ) will be giving the general anesthesia.
Apr 4, 2013