U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 42-year-old member asked:

what are possible complications of a chronic infection in the sinus because of a perforation from a root canal?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Earl Sandroff
Dentistry 43 years experience
Oral surgeon or ENT: If this has been awhile then go back to the dentist that did the root canal or go see a specialist like an oral surgeon or an ent. You may need to get a procedure named a caldwell luc or kind of a sinus cleaning out or scraping. That usually solves the problem.
Dr. Debi Williams
Dentistry 26 years experience
See Endodontist : It depends upon what was placed into your sinus. If it was the disinfecting solution the denist uses to clean your canals then the sinus usually recovers with no intervention. However, if the 'filling material' of the root canal was placed in the sinus then you need the help of an oral surgeon or ent. Since you said this is 'chronic' i would suggest getting this looked at soon.
Dr. Thomas Heston
Family Medicine 29 years experience
new imaging tools and endoscopy may really be of benefit in this condition, and the oral surgeon or ENT doc will help you decide what tests to get.
Nov 30, 2012

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with

Similar questions

A member asked:

Can babies come down with the RSV infection repeatedly?

3 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Josephine Ruiz-healy
Pediatrics 39 years experience
No: Rsv, or respiratory syncytial virus, is a common winter virus, roughly from november through march. Like many other viruses it is possible to become infected more than once. Keep in mind there are other viruses that may cause similar symptoms and may be diagnosed as "bronchiolitis" as well.
A 45-year-old member asked:

Is it common for sinus congestion to cause a decrease in appetite?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Bernstein Joel
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 60 years experience
First, diagnosis: Sinus congestion is not as easy to diagnose by the patient as one might think. You may really have nasal congestion. And most causes of nasal congestion are viral infections. Therefore, it is very likely that the overall symptoms of a viral infection may lead to a decrease in appetite. The course of these infections is 7-10 days. If longer, consult you physician.
A 47-year-old member asked:

What is done to treat a prostate infection?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Howard Tay
Urology 31 years experience
Prostatitis: Antibiotic along w non steroidal anti inflammatory (NSAID) are the most common medications used to treat prostate infection. Common antibiotics : cipro, (ciprofloxacin) bactrim. Common NSAID : Ibuprofen , naproxen. Usually an extended course of treatment > 2 weeks is needed because medications do not penetrate the prostate easily.
A 37-year-old member asked:

Does a bad taste or smell in my mouth mean infection?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jake Richards
Dentistry 12 years experience
Possibly: It is not a for sure thing that you would have an infection but those symptoms common for an infection that is draining such as an abcess. You may want to have a dentist take a look for you.
A 38-year-old member asked:

What can be done for a salivary gland infection?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Russell Lieblick
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 21 years experience
Antibiotics plus: The first thing is to make sure it's just an infection and not a cyst or tumor. Infection can typically be treated with antibiotics initially. I usually request that patients use sugar free hard sour candies and hydrate aggressively. If this is unsuccessful, or if infection recurs immediately, the gland can be flushed.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
Last updated Sep 22, 2016

People also asked

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$30 per visit with


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.