is getting a dental filling painful?

4 doctor answers
Dr. Meng Syn
Dr. Meng Syn answered
37 years experience Dentistry
No: Typically, the minor discomfort of getting anesthetic makes getting a filling painless. It is rare to have a circumstance where anesthetic does not work for filling appointments.
Answered on Nov 21, 2012
Dr. J BARRY Stovall
45 years experience General Practice
No: Modern dental care should be painless.
Answered on Nov 26, 2012
Dr. Hans Reinemer
33 years experience Pediatric Dentistry
No: Modern dentistry can be very uneventful and painless in most cases. Adequate anesthesia is easily achieved and in cases where that becomes an issue there are ways to perform treatment with sedation. Ask your dentist about the treatment which is planned, the likelihood of discomfort and options for treatment when there is the potential for discomfort.
Answered on Mar 21, 2015
1
2
Dr. I. Jay Freedman
42 years experience Dentistry
I agree, 21st century dentistry is painless and it is really a disservice by the media to portray us as medieval practioners !
Dec 13, 2012
Dr. I. Jay Freedman
42 years experience Dentistry
No!!!!!: Today's 21st century dentistry is painless and for the most part pleasant! Don't let the old stereotypes make your expectations unrealistic...a dental filling is a very beign out-patient procedure!
Answered on Jul 25, 2014