Does a local anesthesia injection to the bottom of toe/foot really hurt?

Dr. James Henning
Anesthesiology 52 years experience
A Little: Most podiatrists, orthopedists and anesthesiologists use very "small gauge" needles (27 to 30 gauge) when placing local anesthesia. Needles this size cause only minimal discomfort...Usually mild stinging, and then only for a brief moment before the anesthetic takes effect. Don't stress about it!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. David Hettinger
Podiatry 38 years experience
Yes...: Any needle stuck into the foot is going to hurt. It's a matter of how much an individual reacts to this pain. Whenever I have to give an injection into the bottom of the foot, i tell patients that it is going to hurt. It also depends on the thickness of the skin... I have seen fine gauge needles bend when trying to get through the plantar skin. It's all in the technique and the patient!
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology 32 years experience
It's not fun: Your feet do have some sensitive nerves, and the injection will be placed around them. Most anesthesiologists will use a sedative to relax you or make you sleep when they do the blocks.
Last updated Oct 3, 2018