Does a local anesthesia injection to the bottom of toe/foot really hurt?

6 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. James Henning answered

Specializes in Anesthesiology

Most podiatrists, orthopedists and anesthesiologists use very "small gauge" needles (27 to 30 gauge) when placing local anesthesia. Needles this size cause only minimal discomfort...Usually mild stinging, and then only for a brief moment before the anesthetic takes effect. Don't stress about it!

Answered Sep 19, 2018

5.5k views

Dr. David Hettinger answered

Specializes in Podiatry

Any needle stuck into the foot is going to hurt. It's a matter of how much an individual reacts to this pain. Whenever I have to give an injection into the bottom of the foot, i tell patients that it is going to hurt. It also depends on the thickness of the skin... I have seen fine gauge needles bend when trying to get through the plantar skin. It's all in the technique and the patient!

Answered Oct 3, 2018

5.5k views

Dr. Richard Pollard answered

Specializes in Anesthesiology

Your feet do have some sensitive nerves, and the injection will be placed around them. Most anesthesiologists will use a sedative to relax you or make you sleep when they do the blocks.

Answered Aug 12, 2018

5.2k views