is it normal to have pelvic pain in the 2nd trimester?

Dr. Patrick Weix
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Yes: I hate to call pain "normal" but it is very common. If the pain is accompanied by vaginal bleeding, you should contact your doctor right away. Some causes of pelvic pain are treatable: such as bladder infections, low back pain, etc. Some seem to be related to pelvic pressure due to vascular congestion or stretching of scar tissue (adhesions) from previous surgeries.
Dr. Karl Haake
Anesthesiology 23 years experience
Growing baby: Most often the weight of the growing baby can contribute to discomfort in the pelvic area. Also, a woman's body is changing throughout the pregnancy and some of the joints and ligaments are changing as well which can cause pain. If you experience bleeding or severe pain it is important to tell your physician.