NJ

why did it take three attempts for my epidural to finally work? the first two didn't work and numbed only half my body.

Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Anesthesiology 29 years experience
You can : Get unilateral blocks sometimes. They are likely due to catheter position and can be fixed by moving or replacing it.
Dr. Ryan Keller
Anesthesiology 15 years experience
Incomplete epidural: A couple common reasons. If your ack/leg pain is from stenosis(tightness around nerve exit) the steroids didn't reach the nerve because it is so tight. The third epidural was most likely at a different level or approach (transformational) this is a common scenario. If it was from disc bulge the pressure may have been so hard on the nerve that the inflammation did not resolve until third shot.