Autopsy said husband had hypertrophic myocyte nuclei, but it was not cod. how young can a child be screened & what are the tests? we have a 6 y.o.

6 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. James Ferguson answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

Rare in the young: A echocardiogram can evaluate the chamber wall thickness of a heart at any age. I usually do this for direct relatives of a case. An ekg can have voltage criteria that suggest increased wall thickness but is not as reliable.

Answered 11/21/2012

5.5k views

Dr. Amy Deeken answered

Specializes in Pathology

Clarify report: If there is concern for a hereditary condition, clarify with the pathologist who wrote the report. Hypertrophic myocytes nuclei seen on microscopic usually just indicate hypertension. If the pathologist really means idiopathic hypertrophic subaortic stenosis, genetic testing for myosin abnormalities can be performed at any age.

Answered 10/19/2014

5.1k views

Dr. Ed Friedlander answered

Specializes in Pathology

Get straight talk: You need to have your physician and/or the pathologist tell you what killed him. I just got back from the gym in the hopes of having hypertrophied a few of MY myocyte nuclei. Often it's good. This simply isn't the same entity as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, which is best screened for with a stethoscope and skilled listener. The large majority of autopsies do not point to genetic risk, but ask.

Answered 11/11/2014

3.6k views