Are operations normal for getting rid of bunions?

6 doctors weighed in across 5 answers
Dr. Eric Bluman answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgery

Yes, but...: Operations for bunions are some of the most common foot surgery in the us. However, surgery should only be tried if nonoperative therapies have failed to provide you with relief. A decision whether surgery is appropriate for you should be undertaken in conjunction with your orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon. One in your area can be found at www. Aofas.Org.

Answered 10/23/2017

5.5k views

Dr. Adam Teichman answered

Yes: Surgery is the only way to correct bunions. Here are some ways to prevent your bunion from getting worse. Wear proper fitting shoes, wear custom orthotics, and avoid high heels with narrow toe boxes. For more information visit eastpennfoot.Com and request our bunoin report.

Answered 6/18/2015

5.5k views

Dr. Payam Rafat answered

Specializes in Podiatry

An option: Surgery should be considered if you have exhausted your conservative options. Surgical management of bunions varies greatly on the severity of the deformity, the general health of the patient, and on the surgeon’s training and experience.

Answered 3/30/2013

5.2k views

Dr. Libby Putnam answered

Specializes in Podiatry

Bunion surgery.: There are no braces or exercises to get rid of a bunion. If you have it surgically removed, there are several ways your surgeon could go about it. Depending on the angle of your bones (you'll need an x-ray), there are many different procedures to correct your foot. If you do not want surgery, there are inserts or injections to decrease your pain, but they won't make the bunion go away.

Answered 12/10/2013

5.1k views

Dr. Jeffrey Bowman answered

Specializes in

Yes: But only if they hurt. I do bunion surgery almost daily but i won't if its not painful. Surgery is the only way to get rid of a bunion.

Answered 6/11/2013

5.1k views