i bit the inside of my lip. how do i treat it?

Dr. Powlin Manuel
Allergy and Immunology 51 years experience
No treatment needed!: Biting inside the lips is common. This may look bad; however, it heals on its own.
Dr. Ronald Achong
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 18 years experience
Great answer. I agree 100%
Dec 4, 2012

Do I have to purse-lip breathe all the time?

Dr. Dean Giannone
No: We don't usually pursed lip breathe on purpose - we do so because our lung disease is so advanced that this is one of the only ways we can breathe.

What can I do about a bug bite that has swelled my lip?

Dr. Rahil Malik
Cold compress: Cold compress for the swelling. Ibuprofen for the pain inflammation. If it appears infected, see a physician.
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Rare for bug to bite lip. Maybe bite was elsewhere and lip is swelling due to an allergic reaction that can become severe. Take a anti-histamine and call your doctor if this is a possibility.
Nov 17, 2011
Prattville, AL

What causes the corner of your mouth to crack open even though your lips are not chapped or anything?

Dr. Kai Philipp Olshausen
Infection: Could be either bacterial or fungal infection, especially if it persists.
Dr. Kai Philipp Olshausen
Provided original answer
Definitely worth trying treatment with topical medicines (antifungal or antibacterial ointments) after you have it looked at by your physician.
Dec 30, 2011
Grain Valley, MO

What can be done about a split lip?

Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Plastic Surgery 19 years experience
Surgery: A lip laceration should be repaired within a couple hours of the injury. Usually, local anesthesia and repair in the office or emergency room is all that is required.
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Mike Bowman commented
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 19 years experience
If you happen to be talking about a cleft lip, which is a congenital birth deformity, it can be treated with surgery, usually at a few months of age.
Jan 18, 2012

I bit the inside of lip and it hurts, how do I heal it?

Dr. Bryan Levey
It will heal itself: The inside of the mouth heals remarkably quickly. Unless you repeatedly irritate it, you will likely heal in a day or two. In the meantime, avoid salt or acidic food (pretzels, orange juice, ketchup etc.).

Last updated Dec 4, 2012