i have a caustic lye burn on my leg that is still draining serious fluid. is this normal?

Dr. Jonathan Ellichman
Vascular Surgery 22 years experience
Yes: Depending on how recent the exposure and the depth of wound it may drain for some time. You need to be evaluated by a surgeon.
Dr. Robert Dorsey
Wound care 36 years experience
Depends: On the time frame of the injury. If short then the answer is yes. If not then this also is abnl and other things need to be checked out.
Dr. Michael Miller
Wound care 36 years experience
Normal Action: When there is injury to our skin, inflammation occurs which means the area becomes red, warm, tender and with swelling. The swelling occurs under the skin layers and then can leak out of an open wound. The fluid contains water, protein, electrolytes and cells that give it color. This is a natural process and aids in healing. As it heals, the drainage will decrease. Keep it covered.
Dr. Norman Chideckel
Vascular Surgery 42 years experience
Drain: This is a lymphatic reaction The fluid can irritate the skin so see a doctor to have the area evaluated