My ER papers say to ice my 8yr olds fractured ankle. The splint and wrap put on in ER are very thick and hard, so do I remove it to put ice on it ?

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
40 years experience in Internal Medicine
Elevate and ice: If the fracture is unstable in any way beofre a cast is put on or operation performed, then it is important to leave the splint and wrap on. Aplpy ice to the outside of the wrap, and more important, keep the ankle elevated as high as possible to reduce the swelling.
Answered on Nov 8, 2012
1
3
Dr. Joseph Newman
31 years experience in Podiatry
If you apply ice over a splint or brace, you may need to leave it on for some time to allow the cold to penetrate.
Nov 2, 2012