How can i tell if i grind my teeth?

8 doctors weighed in across 5 answers
Dr. James Wright answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Flat & chipped teeth: I have to let patients know on a daily basis that they grind there teeth. Most patients are shocked to here this information, until they hold a mirror and slide their jaw forwards and sideways. If the teeth fit perfectly together and are flat this is a sign of bruxing. If your top and bottom teeth are chipped or you have jaw pain it would probably be safe bet to say that you grind your teeth.

Answered 3/24/2015

5.5k views

Dr. Behram Dalal answered

Specializes in

If you notice: Flattening of your teeth (anterior / posterior / both), then you are probably grinding or clenching. If the grinding is nocturnal, sometimes your spouse can tell you that you are grinding. If you wake up in the morning and feel that your jaws are tired / strained, you probably are clenching. Best to be checked out by a dentist to determine if you are and appropriate treatment.

Answered 3/24/2015

5.5k views

Dr. Brent Mcfarland answered

Specializes in Orthodontics

LOOK FOR WEAR: Small areas called wear facets will be on teeth.

Answered 6/19/2017

4.9k views

Dr. Jeffrey Yost answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Sore/tight jaws: Many people grind their teeth and don't know it. Symptoms to look for are tension headaches, tight/sore jaw muscles, teeth sensitive to cold or chewing, inability to open mouth very wide. Inside your mouth you may see worn/chipped teeth, cracked teeth, receding gums. A properly fitting night guard will help protect your teeth, eliminate symptoms, and help train your jaws to stop grinding.

Answered 3/24/2015

4.9k views

Dr. Louis Gallia answered

Specializes in Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

Agree with others: Damage to teeth (cracked, flattened, pain) stiff sore jaws. Still and sore jaws, headaches in am means your grind/clenching while asleep. Ask your dentist to help with diagnosis and treatment.

Answered 3/24/2015

3.1k views